The Mt. Airy graffiti problem seems to be growing in spite of the rapid response by the city's CLIP and SEPTA's anti-graffiti crews.
The latest survey, taken between April 12 and 15, found graffiti tags at these six Mt. Airy locations that CLIP can handle:
- Unit block of East Gowen Avenue - 1
- 100 block of West Gowen Avenue - 6
- Intersection of West Bryan Street and West Allens Lane - 8
- Lincoln Drive & West Mt. Pleasant Avenue - 2
- SEPTA Chestnut Hill East overpass wall - East Vernon Street by Stenton Station - 1
- East Vernon Street and Sprague Street - 1
The survey found one location where SEPTA crews will need to handle the graffiti because it is on a SEPTA overpass.
- SEPTA's Chestnut Hill West overpass over West Mt Pleasant Avenue - 20
The tags were photographed at 19 locations—on signs, mailboxes, business building walls and SEPTA property.
- Signs - 10
- Mailboxes - 4
- Building Walls - 3
- Two SEPTA structures - multiple on both sides of overpass
Three taggers (RAS13, RAZE and SCUT) were responsible for all but two of the tags.
I have asked East Mt. Airy Neighbors, West Mt. Airy Neighbors and Mt. Airy USA to form a task force of concerned Mt. Airy residents to spot, report and track graffiti in Mt. Airy. Please let me know if you would be interested in participating in this task force.
These tags have been reported to CLIP and SEPTA. A number of them have alreasdy been removed.
You can view Recent Mt. Airy Tags by RAS13 on a Google map. You can adjust the map scale, location and you can click on a marker and see a photo of the tag.