The Weekender: Earth Has a New Brew; Project Learn Hosts Children's Cooking Class
Patch's guide to weekend events focuses on a new Cliveden beer and includes some events at St. Michael's.
The Cliveden Brewers and Earth, Bread & Brewery collaborated to make their new brew, “Cuvée de Cliveden,” which, according to Cliveden’s website is, “a rich mahogany black beer with a hint of raisins, coffee, and plums.”
The opening reception for the new beer was at Earth, Bread, and Brewery on Thursday, but the beer will be on tap until they run out—for $9 customers get the beer and a Cliveden Brewers’ glass.
Earth, Bread & Brewery will also host a “Free the Hikers” benefit on Saturday at 5 p.m. for Josh Fattal and Shane Bauer, who have been held in Iran since mid-2009, when they were hiking near the border of Iraq and Iran and were arrested by Iranian forces. A third hiker, Sarah Shourd, was also arrested, but was released in September 2010.
More events in Mt. Airy this weekend:
Friday, January 14
- The sculptures of Simone Spicer and Richard Weiner will be on display at the Allens Lane Art Center from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Germantown High School girls varsity basketball team will host Delaware Valley Charter High School at 3:15 p.m.
- The FUZE open mic and poetry slam at InFusion Coffee and Tea will feature "No More Ribcage!" The FUZE runs every second and last Friday of each month, doors open at 7:30 p.m., and there is a $5 cover. The cover is $3 for students.
Saturday, January 15
- St. Michael’s Evangelical Lutheran Church will host an HIV/AIDS support group from 10 a.m. to noon They will also host their weekly free community meal from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Every second Saturday of the month, Project Learn School hosts a free cooking class for children and teens between ages five and 15 from 10 a.m. to noon. This month the class will be based around homemade soups and breads.
Sunday, January 16
- Paul Martin's Qigong class at Springboard Studio runs from 7:30 to 7:55 a.m. Qigong is the precursor to Tai Chi. If you can't make Qigong, though, there is always Springboard Studio's sitting meditation from 8 to 8:45 a.m. followed by teaching until 9:30 a.m. Both events are free, but the studio welcomes donations.
- Drinking Liberally, a discussion group for liberals that meets every Sunday at InFusion Coffee and Tea, begins at 12:30 p.m.
- Israeli dancing at the Germantown Jewish Centre, including lessons and open dancing, runs from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.