UPDATE: Philadelphia Public Schools, Others Delayed Tuesday Morning; Roads Slick
Freezing rain, in part, is the culprit.
UPDATE: 9 a.m.
Rain is falling as roads remain icy Tuesday morning and is expected to keep coming down until about 4 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. A winter weather advisory has expired.
Freezing rain, which has stopped began to fall early Tuesday morning after over an inch of snow came down Monday night.
As a result, roads throughout the Philadelphia area—especially untreated ones, like many side streets in Mt. Airy—are slick Tuesday morning.
The weather service had said one-tenth to two-tenths of an inch of icy glaze could accumulate by the end of the morning.
SEPTA has told its customers to expect delays on all lines due to the weather.
The presence of ice has caused delays at schools around the area Tuesday morning. Here's a list of the delays relevant to Mt. Airy according to information provided by the schools and by KYW:
- Blair Christian Academy: Opening two hours late
- Chestnut Hill Academy: Opening two hours late
- Chestnut Hill College: Opening two hours late
- Crefeld School: Opening two hours late
- Germantown Jewish Centre Early Childhood Program: Opening two hours late
- Greene Street Friends: Opening two hours late
- Holy Cross School: Opening two hours late; all schools affiliated with the Archdiocese of Philadelphia are opening two hours late.
- Khepera Charter School: Closed
- New Covenant Church: Opening two hours late
- Preschool PLUS: Opening two hours late
- Project Learn School: An originally scheduled Conferences Day has been canceled (no classes were scheduled). Optional childcare that the school would have provided during the day has also been canceled.
- School District of Philadelphia (includes AMY Northwest Middle School, Anna B. Day School, Anna L. Lingelbach School, Charles W. Henry School, Eleanor C. Emlen School, Henry H. Houston School, Germantown High School, Martin Luther King High School and Parkway Northwest High School for Peace and Social Justice): Operating on a two-hour delay for students and teachers; all other staff report as normal.
- Springside School: Opening two hours late
- Waldorf School of Philadelphia: Opening two hours late
For updates to this story, hit refresh in your browser.