Mid-Beer Week: A Guide to Events
Trolley Car Diner, Malt House Ltd. and Geechee Girl Rice Cafe are having gatherings.
Philly Beer Week began on Friday and will last through Sunday. Here's a look at some of what's going on in Mt. Airy:
- Trolley Car Diner is having what it's calling a Beer-B-Q on Saturday from 2 to 5 p.m. Flying Fish, Philadelphia Brewing and Lancaster Brewing will be there as guests, and Dogfish, Sly Fox, Magic Hat and Victory will be the featured brews. Beer tasting is now free (it was previously going to be $10), and the new Malt House Ltd. homebrew supply store will be at the event as well.
- The diner is also having a beer tasting, called "Around the World in Eight Beers," from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday.
- Malt House, meanwhile, is having a variety of events this week. The store at 7101 Emlen St. is showing the films "Strange Brew" (Monday) "Beerfest" (Wednesday) and "Beer" (Friday), all at 8 p.m. It will also host happy hours Tuesday and Thursday at 4 p.m., at which owner Scott Wikander will hand out samples of some of his brews (homebrewers are encouraged to bring their own as well).
- Geechee Girl Rice Cafe has teamed up with Roller's Expresso at 8341 Germantown Ave. for the week. Starting on Tuesday, customers will be able to purchase a "Geechee Girl friendly" six-pack selected by Expresso owner, Becky Roller; from Wednesday till Sunday, Geechee Girl, a BYOB, will serve a beer friendly menu.
- Earth Bread & Brewery, meanwhile, isn't participating in Beer Week, but one of its concoctions was recently awarded first place in the Philadelphia Inquirer's Brew-vitational that was put on just before the week began.