There's always a weird feeling in the air on Christmas. It's the one day that everyone gets all European and stores pretty much universally shut down. Which is nice.
But there are several places that will remain open on the day (and the day after). Trains will also run. Here's a list of those places. For the list of places that will be closed on Christmas, click here.
Grocery stores/convenience stores
- Wawa (7236 Germantown Ave.) will be open 24 hours.
- Acme (7010 Germantown Ave.) will be open until 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve. It will then be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Christmas Day and will observe a Sunday schedule on Monday, which means it will be open from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.
- High Point Cafe (602 Carpenter Lane, 7210 Cresheim Rd.) will be open regular hours on Christmas Eve and will be open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Christmas Day.
- Tiffin (7105 Emlen St.) will be open regular hours—until 9:30 p.m.—on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
- Black Pearl Restaurant (7200 Germantown Ave.) will be open regular hours Christmas Eve and from 4 to 10 p.m. on Christmas Day.
- Chef Ken's (7135 Germantown Ave.) will be open 2 to 9 p.m. on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day, chef Ken Roberts said he'll be in the restaurant from noon to 3 p.m. doing catering business but said people can come in then and order food if they'd like.
- Chinese restaurants have long been known as establishments you can count on to be open on Christmas, and there are a few in Mt. Airy. Five Star Restaurant (6667 Germantown Ave.) will be open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Those are its regular hours.
- Hong Kong Restaurant (6749 Germantown Ave.) will be open from 11 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., per its usual schedule.
- Panda House (6643 Germantown Ave.) will hold its regular business hours—from 11 a.m. to midnight.
- Panda Garden (275 W. Mt. Pleasant Ave.), as usual, will be open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. All those Chinese restaurants will be open on Christmas Eve as well.
- Trains on both the Chestnut Hill East and Chestnut Hill West lines will run on a Sunday schedule on Christmas Day (as will buses), which isn't any different from normal, because Christmas is on Sunday. The schedule on Monday, though, will be different, since that's when Christmas is being observed; those trains and buses will run on a Sunday schedule then.